If any of y’all will be in or around Port St. Lucie this coming weekend, come to Matt’s party and say hi to me and Coop!
Let the games begin…
Thinking back, I believe this trip to PSL will be the first pure vacation I’ve had in years. Usually when I go away these days it’s for a wedding. I did go to Florida last year and the year before to see my family, which I will be doing again this time around too prior to heading to PSL. Because if there’s one thing that Florida has besides spring training, it’s grandparents.
Basically, I can’t remember the last time I looked forward to something so much. In preparation, I just returned from J&R downtown, where I was surprised to see that SD cards were so reasonable. I now have 2 gigs worth of space on my camera. For photos of my wonderful grandma, grandpa, and aunt of course. But also of Johan, David, Jose, Willie, Omar, Johnny, Ollie, Carloses, Pedro, Keith, Ron, Gary, Kevin, and so many more. AND my beloved blog buddies, of course. Basically…expect some pictures. And also, duh.
A new facebook buddy recommended Hurricane Wings for their raspberry chipotle number, and Matt reports that Duffy’s Sports Grill was recommended to him. Looks like there may be a gathering of sorts on Saturday night, so stay tuned to Metsblog for more information when Matt’s got the detes finalized.
I’ve been making my packing list for days now, including the SNY trading cards and my pink cap to be signed, my Mets fake tattoos (if I can find them!) to paste on my cheek, my Mets toggle pigtail holders, my digital recorder in case I can get any of the players to shout something out, my Mets earrings, Mets tote bag, Mets tank tops…you get the picture. I will even be sleeping in Mets t-shirts. Oh, and also, Mets.
That’s all for now :-)
Are you getting that same catch in your chest watching SNY’s coverage of spring training arrivals? Suddenly the almost 2 months until Shea’s opening day don’t seem that far away. (And bless Mets buddy Rob for taking me to it!) As to the next two weeks? They seem positively fleeting.
In two weeks, Coop, SNK, and I head out to become the darlings of Port St. Lucie. Matt Cerrone will be there as well, and if we can’t pry him out after he’s done working for a drink, I know he’s at least good for some blog photos. The dude’s a truly decent guy–and was one of my very first Mets blogosphere friends–so I give him a round of applause for all his success with the SNY folks and the Mets organization. As to my girls? Well, that’s a no brainer. Spring training with them is sure to be an utter blast.
But I’ve been thinking–for my first time at PSL (and one game in Vero Beach), I’d like to get a list of goals to check off for the trip. A scavenger hunt of sorts. Will I accomplish all the checks? Likely not. But I’ll get the list started today and keep adding to it until the whole beautiful event has passsed.
1. Meet and photograph with the SNY folks. I’ve already had my photo op and SNY card signature from the delightful Kevin Burkhardt. Next on the list is Keith Hernandez, then Gary Cohen (I already took a pic with him in 2006, but I look terrrrrible). Is Ronnie supposed to be at PSL? Think Keith will let me hug him? I will try to bring either Tootsie pops or colored pens.
2. Get the pink cap signed. The gracious Pedro Feliciano started the trend, inking his Juan Hancock under the brim. If some of my favorites were to follow? What a treasure.
3. You know me and pics. Obviously as many as possible with the players and not just of the players.
4. Get to see Johan pitch. And Pedro too. And Johnny Maine, whom I have high hopes for this season. Hold Coop’s hand while she swoons over her Ollie Perez.
5. Check out the bowling lanes where Julie Donaldson got to chill with David Wright and Paulie Lo Duca last year on Mets Weekly. That clip was adorable.
There we go–5 goals to start. More to come. And please offer your suggestions if you’ve been there before!
Here are some pics from last year with some soon-to-be Pick Me Up Some Mets PSL superstars.